Apart from the above list, NetDecoder also includes decoders for these
- TCP, UDP, IPV4, IPV6, ARP, RARP, DNS, HTTP, VoIP-SIP, ICMP,
IGMP, NBDS, NBNS, NBSS, SMTP, IBM, NetBIOS, SMB, Novell Netware
(IPX, SPX, IPX NetBIOS, IPX RIP, IPX SAP, NCP), ISO, and CLNP.
- Easy-to-use scripting language to write custom decodes for proprietary
protocols and/or extensions to existing protocol decoders.
Data Capture Options
- Supports serial data capture up to 921.6K bps.
- Serial data capture requires Frontline's RS-232 ComProbe II or RS-422/485 ComProbe. Both the ComProbes connect to the PC via USB ports.
- Data Highway Plus (DH+) data capture requires Rockwell Automation's 1784-U2DHP.
- DH-485 data capture requires RS-485 serial card.
- DeviceNet data capture requires SST's DeviceNet interface
cards or RA's 1784-U2DN.
- ControlNet data capture requires RA's 1784-PCC or 1784-U2CN.
- Captured data includes data bytes, control signals, and
- Capture data to a single file or a series of files.
Data Display Characteristics
- Frame/Packet contents are decoded to the byte and bit level.
- Characters can be displayed in ASCII, EBCDIC, or Baudot.
- Nonprintable characters are displayed using hex and
- Supported radices include hex, octal, decimal and binary.
- Decoded data formats supported include 16 bit Integers, 32
bit Integers, IEEE 32 bit Floating Point, 32 bit Reverse
Floating Point, and ASCII.
- Display filter parameters include filter-in or filter-out
protocols, messages, data patterns, and advanced mode for
- Quick filters for the Frame Display window includes protocol filtering in and out, filtering on the
summary pane, and filtering on messages.
- Tab filters in the Frame Display allow you to filter in
frames that contain a specific protocol layer.
- Ethernet, ControlNet and DeviceNet analyzers in NetDecoder
support capture filters.
- ControlNet capture filters are defined on the frame MAC ID,
Producer/consumer MAC ID, Frame Type (Scheduled, Unscheduled or
Moderator) and Frame status (Good, Bad, Null).
- Ethernet capture filters are defined on node pairs, MAC or
IP addresses, protocol type, and message type or data pattern.
Start and Stop Triggers
- The ControlNet analyzer using RA's 1784-PCC card supports
start and stop triggers.
- The DeviceNet analyzer using RA's 1784-U2DN and SST's
interface cards support triggers.
- Export Events or Frames into text or binary format.
- Exports the contents of the Frame Display's Summary Pane
into CSV format.
- Export output is suitable for importing into a spreadsheet,
database or other post-process program for intricate data and
- Print the Summary Pane and/or Decode Pane information.
- Shows amount of data on the network (number of
- Displays error information.
- Provides information on data rates (characters per second,
frames per second).
- Provides network utilization information.
- For serial networks, it provides statistics for both the DTE/Master/Host
and DCE/Slave/RTU ends.
- Provides current, peak and average values for all network
- Provides both absolute and relative displays of event timing
for bytes and frames/messages.
- Calculates time intervals between bytes and between
frames/messages (delta time).
- Timestamp resolution is 100 nanoseconds.
- Search at the byte or frame level.
- Find data by timestamps.
- Locate errors.
- Discover specific data patterns (patterns include wildcard
characters at the bit level, nibble level, and byte level).
- Search decoded text, with or without wildcards.
- Includes special Transmit program to send data over Ethernet
cards and Serial ports.
- The Ethernet transmit program uses the PC's NIC card.
- The Serial transmit program requires a serial port on the
- The program can transmit data strings and files one time,
multiple times, or continuously.
- Data transmission delays can be inserted in millisecond,
second, or minute increments.
- The serial control signals can be set on or off.
- Add notes to your capture files describing the contents of
the data. Use the notes for archiving network information, or to
resolve problems and sharing information between people.
- Add bookmarks to highlight important bytes and frames for
easy access. Use these bookmarks to share information and
capture files between team members.
- I/O configurations, protocol stacks, and filters can be
saved for future use.
Help & Documentation
- Comprehensive product help provides operating instructions.
- Quick Start Guide enables rapid product set-up and
- Manuals to provide additional technology specific
- Documentation is installed with the product and is also
To learn more about diagnosing and troubleshooting industrial
networks order your
copy of NetDecoder online.